[Treasurers] transparency

Nathan Larson nathanlarson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:49:20 EST 2011

Hello Treasurers list.  I wanted to talk about public transparency in
accounting.  A small thing that I think could make a huge difference is to
get coops to be publicly transparent about their accounting.  With this
information we could crunch data to show how coops save money, see trends,
and better improve the lives of cooperators by insight into how other coops
operate and where efficiencies can be gained.  And of course the benefit of
accountability is immediately gained with transparency too.

But is there any downside?

I hope not because our coop has already gone public.  Data for food,
utility (including gas/electricity/oil consumption), rent, and landlord
expenses are all available from our coop's website:

http://whirlybird.bostoncoops.org/house-operations/finance