[Linux-disciples] Re: alsa ardour jack etc.

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Thu Feb 24 09:05:52 EST 2005

karl sokol wrote:
>>The link you posted seems to be totally unrelated--I
>>don't see anything
>>in there about jack--what lead you to the URL?
> I googled my error, sorted through a couple dozon
> pages, and thought that this looked like a
> possibility.  The start of the thread is here:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.1/1637.html

Hmm. The "solution" link you originally posted is a proposed kernel
patch, but it seemed like it was in such a different part of the kernel
(iptables) that it's hard for me to imagine it fixing your problem.

If there is a Debian package of kernel 2.6.10 for ubuntu, you might try
that, just to see if it does any good.

> aplayer plays wavs.  I am pretty sure that aplayer
> only works with alsa.

Yes, that's a good test for ALSA support.

> I notice that some problems have arisen in trying to
> download some packages because I am running an amd_64
> system.  I am working on chroot to 32, but have been
> rather busy.  Is this possibly a facter (i.e. should I
> table jack and the rest until I figure this out)?

Could be a factor. I don't know if anyone on this list has any amd_64
experience--I certainly don't.

My suggestion would be to post your experience to the jack discussion
list over at sourceforge--they may be able to help you better.  You
should mention that you've verified that ALSA works and that you're
using amd_64 and the particular kernel version (ideally after you've
tried 2.6.10).  My impression is that jack is a fairly active project,
and while not quite ready for prime time, they should be able to help you.