[Linux-disciples] Re: Creating an encrypted device

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Thu Feb 10 23:53:52 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:39:59PM -0500, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> Yet ... I must be able to fake a block device out of this. I
> suspect somehow I can use the loop device for this, but I've
> only ever used the loop device while mounting over a
> pre-existing device node; I've never used it to, say, create
> a raw block device.

Ah. Well, looks like I wanted

sudo losetup /dev/loop0 cryptsys

Now, as I understand it, any writes or reads to or from
/dev/loop0 will be translated into the corresponding action
on cryptsys.

So then, to create an encrypted filesystem on cryptsys, I
can do

cryptsetup create cryptvol1 /dev/loop0

I've not investigated where to go from here, but that's a
start.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org