[Linux-disciples] How to tell which driver version I'm using

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Thu Feb 10 10:38:09 EST 2005

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> We're up over version 1 now on this driver ... though from
> the looks of it, it's really a .22 driver that was
> optimistically stamped 1.0. I wonder why.

Probably because it is 'ready'.  I don't think developers always attempt
to approach 1.0 in even increments--they just start at some really low
number and have certain milestones that must be reached for 1.0.  If and
when those milestones are reached (say, the package meets the initial
requirements and is stable), they'll just bump up to 1.0 wherever they are.

This is something weird that goes on with Mozilla numbering,
though--there is still a Firefox 0.9 branch, which is apparently "ahead"
of the 1.0 branch--I think this has something to do with separating out
the stable and development branches.  Features were actually removed for
1.0 to make it ship-able.