[Linux-disciples] Re: connecting to the internet

Karl Sokol fritzsokol at wireless.essex1.com
Tue Feb 8 13:40:00 EST 2005

 > Sounds like eth0 is a wireless card?

Sorry, I was not clear.  The computer is a desktop.  An Ethernet cable
goes to a  router, which in turn is connected to a cable modem, which is
connected to an antanae that picks up my wireless service.  (Though all
the info on wireless networking will be helpful when we make the laptop
Linux- but that is another day.)

 > (1) Does your computer see your network card?

ifconfig  eth0 looks O.K.

The address for the router configuration page is 192.168.8.1.  Pinging
this address gives 'unable to access host'.  I connect through ppoe on
windows.

Running PPOE gives "Sorry I scanned 1 interface,but the Access
concentrtor of your provider did not respond. Please check your network
and modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may also be
another running PPPoe process which controls the modem"

I killed everything that looked like it might be offending, but to no
avail.

I think have patchwork of trying different things may have caused a
jumble mess.  Is there a way to start at square one?

I am downloading ubuntu, and will try to connect through that.

Thanks for the leads so far.