[Linux-disciples] Troubles writing to an NFS-mounted volume

Dylan Thurston dpt at exoskeleton.math.harvard.edu
Mon May 24 17:00:04 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 04:47:38PM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> I'm having problems writing files -- under some but not all
> circumstances -- to an NFS mount. I looked at the NFS FAQ --
> http://shorl.com/bumiprygafrofre -- and it looks like the
> problem may be that the UIDs for user 'slaniel' on the
> client and server ends are different. That makes sense. So:
> what's the best way to get the UIDs synced?

You'll have to change the UIDs on one machine, remembering to change the
ownership on all the files as you do it.  Are you asking for a one-time
solution, or a way to keep them in sync?  For the latter, you should
install NIS, via the package of the same name.

(You should check that that's the problem first, of course.)

Peace,
	Dylan