[Linux-disciples] Printing under Mandrake

Adam Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Tue May 18 18:11:55 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 06:09:47PM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 06:02:20PM -0400, Dylan Thurston wrote:
> > For me, often printers get disabled for one reason or another and I
> > forget to check and restart the printer.  Probably you've already
> > checked this, though...
> Yeah, I definitely stopped and restarted the printer.
> Blasted thing.

Are you getting error messages?  Did you look in /var/log/cups/*?  Also
check dmesg.  There are definitely some weird USB printer issues I've
had, although those shouldn't affect the network printer.  Also, trying
printing right from the command line, e.g.,

echo hi | lpr

or

echo hi | lpr -P name_of_printer

You might also need to install cupsys BSD compatibility package, which in
Debian is cupsys-bsd (probably similar in Mandrake).
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org