[Linux-disciples] Printing under Mandrake

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Tue May 18 17:27:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:16:08PM -0400, Adam Kessel wrote:
> I don't think cupsys supports Rendezvous, but OS X definitely supports
> traditional BSD ('lpr') printing.  It's even possible that you can run
> the CUPS daemon under OS X.

I should follow up here. It looks like OS X runs CUPS in the
backend, with a Mac frontend atop. This would explain why
Mandrake on one of the Linux boxes automagically spotted the
Brother printer attached to one of the OS X machines.

However -- and this is the frustrating part -- Mandrake
couldn't seem to do anything with this information. I tried
printing test pages, but nothing came out. The same thing
happened with the printer attached locally to the (Mandrake
machine's) USB port: PrinterDrake saw the printer and
correctly identified it as an HP LaserJet series 1000, but
the test page just disappeared into the aether.

So: now that we know that everyone's talking the language of
CUPS, I wonder if the Linux crew here has seen anything like
this before. Has CUPS ever identified a printer correctly
for you, then failed to print to it? I'm going back to the
client tomorrow, and I hope to figure this out when I get
there.

--
  Don Rumsfeld: "I feel terrible about what happened to
these Iraqi detainees. They're human beings ..."