[Linux-disciples] Low-level reformatting under Linux

Adam Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Tue May 11 14:20:35 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:18:47PM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 02:14:59PM -0400, Adam Kessel wrote:
> > Do you mean reformat or repartition?  Why can't you just cfdisk and
> > mkfs.ext3?  Are you concerned about traces of old data?
> Ah. See, I don't know about cfdisk and mkfs.ext3. What I
> mean is that, say, there's a 100G disk, all of which is
> currently a big NTFS partition. They now want it to be
> dual-boot, so I'll take, say, 50G of that for Linux and
> format it as ext3. There may already be data on that portion
> of the disk, so I'd need some smart program to move the data
> off to another part of the disk, then repartition the disk
> and format that 50G as ext3. I believe there exist unfree
> programs like Partition Magic to take care of this, but I'd
> like to do it for free (and with free software).

I thought the Mandrake installer gave you the option to resize existing
Windows partitions.  I've never tried it though.  A while back it was
only possible to resize FAT/VFAT Windows partitions and not NTFS
partitions, but I believe that has changed recently.
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org