[*BCM*] Windsor bikes from Bikes Direct

rinonvan at gmail.com rinonvan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 19:46:07 EDT 2011

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

I've worked on many bikes in the past and am fairly familiar with what
to look for. I am by no means a professional mechanic, but I do know
that you will not find me shopping for transportation in a department
store.
There is still a great curiosity about this online dealer and the
Windsor bikes in particular. The specs state that these are all
chromoly with Shimano Nexus 3-speed hubs, but there is no lug work and
the fork is unicrown. I did find out that these weigh about 28lbs, not
bad, but there really is not for reviews except some blog entries and
message board speculations.
As far as details, there is a link to some very detailed images that
it seems you may have missed, and the shipping is also free.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/images/oxford_gallery/
The site also claims these are comparable to Public, Linus and
Electra. Has anyone had experience with those brands?

Nothing against the local bike shops, but most of the new models are
quite expensive and looking for that right used frame or parts to
build up can be very time consuming and also potentially expensive as
well. I'm basically just looking for a bike for a friend who only
commutes a few miles on workdays, will take the occasional relaxed
weekend sojourn and is looking for a classic style frame like French
and Italian portuers or English 3-speeds. I won't let them ride a
"cheap" bike and I'm hoping for feedback and recommendations for a
quality, yet thrifty, find.

Again, my thanks.

-R