[*BCM*] A report from the front lines of last night's CM

Matthew Gilbert mpgbikes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 11:53:39 EDT 2011

By running red lights, bicyclists can remain together rather than be split
at intersections. They can maintain their control of the road, discouraging
motor vehicles from attempting to ride through or around them and staying
safe.

When bicyclists block motor vehicles at intersections, they keep those
vehicles from attempting to move through the bike ride, keeping the cyclists
and their bikes safe.

There have even been some circumstances where I have briefly ridden on the
sidewalk, even though I prefer using the street, simply in the interest of
safety.

And by occupying an intersection by riding around it, the message is clear:
"this is our road too, and we're using it now." The motorists can have it
back for the following 30 days or so.

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Turil <thewiseturtle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Matt Gilbert <mpgchicago at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bikes are always a "part of traffic," but sometimes motorists don't seem
> > get that. Critical Mass is about asserting bicycles' right to the road.
> That
> > is what the cyclists in that video appear to be doing. Yes, sometimes
> when
> > people assert themselves, they can be annoying.
>
> There is a vast, huge, gargantuan difference between asserting one's
> rights vs aggressively flaunting one's ability to do whatever one
> wants to do.
>
> Bicyclists have a right to drive on the roads just like all other
> vehicle operators.  They don't have a right to break the laws.  When
> bicyclists run red lights, intentionally block other road users, drive
> on the sidewalk (in Boston or in business districts of most other
> cities and towns), and generally act aggressively (towards anyone they
> don't "approve of"), they are not only NOT asserting their rights,
> they are actually making the world more dangerous for everyone and
> committing road rage, which is what we want LESS of, right?
>
> -Turil
>
> --
>

> Binikou ~ the Human Powered School
> http://www.binikou.org
>
> ...tapping into the power of young people all over the planet to
> improve the quality of life in their own communities by offering
> workshops and an online encyclopedia of practical solutions for
> getting more good stuff into humans, and using the stuff that comes
> out of humans to do even more awesome stuff!

---

Matt Gilbert
Enjoying life in the suburbs without a car since 2007