[*BCM*] Courteous Mass

Bence Béky zsebkecske at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:14:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

just to let you know that the concept of Critical Mass can be fairly
different in other countries:

We had our ride last night. http://criticalmass.hu/english. The
National Cycling Club has put a lot of effort to organizing the event.
I was one of the few hundred volunteers making sure that the ten
thousand participants all ride responsibly. The police fined many
cyclists who didn't stop on red, didn't have lights or rode on the
sidewalk (fortunately generally forbidden in Europe). This was
partially about educating people how to ride without annoying other
participants of traffic, but the emphasis was on showing everybody
that cycling is a means of transportation with equal rights.

We have rides twice a year, the one on Earth Day is more a family
event, with motor traffic blocked around the city. Like a festival.
The one on Car Free Day is the one where we just ride around, as part
of traffic, to show that every vehicle is equal.

The special occasion this time was that city council election is
coming up in two weeks, so last night, after the demonstration, there
was a public forum with the representatives of the four major parties.
This was a nice chance for us voters to see how competent they are and
how seriously they take the issue of cycling.

I'm gonna return to Boston in October, see you guys around!

Bence