[*BCM*] Critical mass fliers and communication with cyclists. (need advice on them!)

Victor Martelle vmartelle at metmail.org
Fri Oct 1 11:16:40 EDT 2010

Hello from Rhode Island. I just wanted to get as many opinions, help, and
advice on the fliers and how we communicate with bicyclists.

Here is the history of my fliers:

I made a Critical Mass flier, but noticed many people did not support
critical mass in my state. so after a couple of months, I made
another flier based on "community bike ride/bicycle awareness ride." I also
put together a rough draft of our h'ween ride coming up.

**We usually only get about, on average, 15-20 people on our rides. I don't
know why, I passed out fliers 3-4 times a month, on different days, usually
passing out 1000 fliers to 1000 different bikes total a month**

So how do we get more people on our rides? Any advice? And any tips on our
fliers or anything we should change?

Note: Attached documents are:

'Critical mass.doc application/msword', the first flier I made, and noticed
a lot of opposition because people think critical mass is bad. Many
messengers, and bike shops dislike critical mass.

'CM flier (h'ween).doc application/msword', This is a rough draft of our
h'ween ride.

'cm page flier.doc application/msword', is the one I made after our Critical
Mass flier got a lot of opposition. I tried to make it suitable for
everyone. but I think I kind of lost the critical mass meaning in it.

Any advice on our fliers, or any advice on how we can better communicate
with cyclists, commuters, messengers, and bike shops is
greatly appreciated!!!!

-Victor Martelle
Critical Mass RI (Providence)