No subject

Thu Apr 8 09:33:43 EDT 2010

ill-equipped for riding safely, attempted to pass a bus and was routed
around it. When the skinny tires hit the divet, he most likely lost control
as the bike "snapped" into the street, forcing him into a collision course
with the bus. But this is all conjecture. Honestly, I think the
skinny-rimmed lightweight bikes are a bad idea for the city.. there's no
metal protecting you from the road or dangerous conditions.

I think the whole situation could have been avoided, but perhaps advocacy
for a bicycle lane to be put there would help offset the traffic and protect
bicyclists from the option of passing into a dangerous road situation?

Maybe the MBTA should get public works to put markings down at the tracks to
warn that passing in that particular spot is dangerous?

Other ideas?

--------------------
Angela Morley

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM, <thom3 at aol.com> wrote:

>  Hey it's anarchy, order and community... it's a single cell definition of
> life

--005045013bff69f9410484018f04

unrelated. BCM has different definitions to everyone, but I&#39;ll tell you=
, I&#39;ll never participate in a ride if the ride breaks the rules of the =
road. I&#39;m the one that always stops at red lights, not just because it&=
#39;s safer, but because it gives you a little rest before moving on. Oh, a=
nd you can get ticketed for breaking traffic regulations on a bike (one of =
the reasons I don&#39;t feel too bad for BCM when police forces intervene..=
. don&#39;t break traffic laws and you won&#39;t be in trouble! Bikes equal=
 vehicles, after all.)</div>
 through some of the information available, and it&#39;s kind of interestin=
g. Apparently he had &quot;150 feet&quot; between when he got stuck in the =
rivet and lost control at the bus. I&#39;ll tell you a properly equipped bi=
ke at 400 lbs can stop within 20 feet at most, 10 if you brake hard traveli=
ng at 15 MPH. That&#39;s with full disc brakes and feet stability.<div>
e was riding, from the looks of the photo, is a fixed gear bike, probably w=
ith limited braking potential. Doesn&#39;t Massachusetts law determine a mi=
nimum distance for a bicycle to come to a halt during all-brakes on?</div>
on a bike ill-equipped for riding safely, attempted to pass a bus and was r=
outed around it. When the skinny tires hit the divet, he most likely lost c=
ontrol as the bike &quot;snapped&quot; into the street, forcing him into a =
collision course with the bus. But this is all conjecture. Honestly, I thin=
k the skinny-rimmed lightweight bikes are a bad idea for the city.. there&#=
39;s no metal protecting you from the road or dangerous conditions.</div>
t perhaps advocacy for a bicycle lane to be put there would help offset the=
 traffic and protect bicyclists from the option of passing into a dangerous=
 road situation?</div>
down at the tracks to warn that passing in that particular spot is dangerou=
------------<br>
Angela Morley<br><br>
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:thom3 at aol.com">thom3 at aol.com</a>&gt;</spa=
n> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;b=
order-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
39;s anarchy, order and community... it&#39;s a single cell definition of l=

class=3D"im">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: rob levy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:r.p.levy at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">=
r.p.levy at gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
st that was killed by a bus driver), but those say that CM is not a working=
 example of anarchy as an effective mode of interaction and societal organi=
zation could probably stand to educate themselves about the history, theory=
, and working practices of anarchy. =A0Here is a good place to start:=A0<a =
href=3D"http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/anarfaq.htm" target=3D"_blank">h=
ttp://econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/anarfaq.htm</a> =A0</div>

 anarchism.</div>

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Sam u <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:comradesema at yahoo.com" target=3D"_blank">comradesema at yahoo.com</a>&gt;<=
/span> wrote:<br>
04, 204);margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;padding-left:1ex">
e=3D"font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weigh=
t:inherit;font-size:inherit;line-height:inherit;font-size-adjust:inherit;fo=
nt-stretch:inherit" valign=3D"top">
[...]
 whats up. And remember to be extra cautious when commuting around town.</t=

ncriticalmass.org</a><br>

toncriticalmass.org/list</a><br>

To unsubscribe email <a href=3D"mailto:list-unsubscribe at bostoncriticalmass.=
org" target=3D"_blank">list-unsubscribe at bostoncriticalmass.org</a><br>

=20

ize:12px;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);background-color:rgb(255, 255, 255)">

_____<br>
Boston Critical Mass mailing list<br>
ncriticalmass.org</a><br>
toncriticalmass.org/list</a><br>
To unsubscribe email <a href=3D"mailto:list-unsubscribe at bostoncriticalmass.=
org" target=3D"_blank">list-unsubscribe at bostoncriticalmass.org</a><br>
</tt></pre>
=20