[*BCM*] This Saturday: Bike the Seven (Or More) Hills of Somerville

Anne Wolfe goannego at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:28:23 EDT 2009

What I never understand about these conversations is the logic that
wearing a helmet is somehow being suggested as The One True Answer, to
the exclusion of all else. Wearing a helmet compliments riding safely
and riding safely compliments wearing a helmet. A helmet will never
once prevent a crash, just like a seat belt will never prevent a
crash. On the other hand, a helmet substantially reduces your odds of
serious head injury when you're in a crash, just like a seat belt in a
car.  Whether or not the crash could have been prevented is an
entirely separate matter.

What does happen though is the amount of sympathy goes down, like it
or not, if there is an accident for whatever reason and the cycling
victim wasn't wearing a helmet. Whether or not this translates into
law I will leave to those in the know. But if there's a cycling
fatality the first question your average person in the street asks is
about the helmet as wearing one is easy to do and known to help. If
there was no helmet, people feel ( rightly or not) the victim was more
at fault. I find the same thing happens in motorcycle crashes without
helmets and automotive accidents without seatbelts -  people are less
sympathetic as the perception is the victim caused their own problem.
They'll still care, but sympathy levels go down. And they won't
believe it isn't the cause even if the true cause us proven to be
something else entirely.

But the only people who seem to go on that helmets shouldn't be worn
are those who speak as though helmets prevent accidents, which pro
helmet advocates have never said. Helmets help prevent a certain type
of injury in an accident. Just like car cages, seat belts, air bags,
etc. Driving or biking safely will prevent more accidents. Helmets and
safety features prevent more injuries once that ice, drunk driver,
person who wasn't looking or running a red light on a bike causes that
accident. So where is the big source of conflict?

Sent from my iPhone