[*BCM*] This Saturday: Bike the Seven (Or More) Hills of Somerville

Erik Wile esw at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 18 11:01:14 EDT 2009

jb wrote:
> yea, but that's what fuckin' grinds my gears. saying that cyclists
> "should" sport helmets in this town in any situation isn't helping
> anything. in that sense you're not saying anything. wearing a helmet
> isn't going to prevent a bus from sneaking up on your left and
> clipping you.. wearing a helmet isn't going to make you more aware
> of what you need to look for in order to avoid getting
> doored.. wearing a helmet certainly won't help you out at all in
> many situations where basic knowledge will save your ass.

JB -- would you rather it said "you should have basic knowledge of
urban riding?"  That would scare people off, needlessly.  These rides
are a good way to get people who usually drive-to-ride on their first
urban ride.  This seven hills ride had a police escort, so most people
will be riding in the middle of a lane, outside the door zone, with
policemen corking intersections, making sure buses aren't sneaking up
on the left, etc.

These organized rides are the safest riding I ever do.  Except that
you're in close proximity to a lot of other riders, so if you or your
neighbor is erratic that could lead to an accident.  About half of my
accidents are from when I've done something stupid [like giving a hug]
while riding in formation.  Typically I land on my gloved hands.  I
_always_ ride with gloves, they've saved my skin a half dozen times.
Yeah, I really should learn how to roll.

But about helmets.  This ride had some fast downhills.  A fall at
speed is exactly when you want a helmet 'cause things happen faster
and you have less time to get in a good position to hit the ground,
etc.  It doesn't seem out of line to me to recommend using a helmet.
At least they're not requiring it.

If I ever organize a ride I'll say "gloves are recommended, but not
required."  And let the flames begin.

-erik