[*BCM*] This Saturday: Bike the Seven (Or More) Hills of Somerville

Ron Newman rnewman at thecia.net
Sun Oct 18 01:33:51 EDT 2009

I'm puzzled by the hostile reaction to my simple Somerville Bicycle
Committee event announcement, especially since I've posted many
similar announcements here in the past without comment.

We didn't say that riders "must" wear helmets, we said they "should",
leaving it up to the reader whether to disregard this advice.   Our
events attract riders with a wide variety of cycling experience, and
this ride in particular included several steep descents.   We felt it
was prudent to recommend helmets so that riders would reduce their
risk from accidental falls.