[*BCM*] 2nd Annual Brookline Bikes Beacon: Sun May 31 12:30 pm

tjvitolo at bu.edu tjvitolo at bu.edu
Tue May 26 09:20:59 EDT 2009

Ladies and Gents:

The second annual Brookline Bikes Beacon parade is this Sunday, May 31,
at 12:30 pm.

www.brooklinebikes.org

WHAT IT ISN'T: it isn't a race, a charity ride, a protest, nor an
opportunity for anarchy.

WHAT IT IS: a slow paced 5 mile ride from Amory Park (near Audobon
Circle) outbound on Beacon Street to Cleveland Circle, then back, with
police escorts.  It's a celebration of bikes, a way to show folks that
citizens of all stripes ride bicycles for all sorts of reasons.

www.brooklinebikes.org

I hope you'll join us for a slow ride bike parade, followed by ice
cream sandwiches and a Beatles cover band.

  - Tommy Vitolo
Member, Brookline Bicycle Advisory Committee

More details below:

Parade Information
Bicycle Beacon Street like you've never done before - with no cars to
get in your way. Ride the entire length of our historic avenue - both
east and west - all car free! You'll do a 5-mile loop with Brookline
Police leading the way, riding with us, and covering our backs. Like a
parade!

Who?
Cyclists who can ride 5 miles on a hilly course at a speed of 8 miles
per hour without stopping. Generally, that means 10 years old or older
and using a reliable bicycle. Even with those restrictions, this is a
ride for cyclists at almost every level.
What about younger riders?

There will be a co-parade for younger riders and any cyclists who don't
want the challenge of the long hill through Coolidge Corner. They'll
also start and finish at Amory Playground.

Why?
For fun. For free. We want to celebrate, encourage, and call attention
to the environmental, physical, and social benefits of bicycling.

When?
Sunday afternoon, May 31, 2009.
     * 11:30am - 12:15pm - Registration
     * 12:30pm - Ride starts promptly!
     * 1:00pm - 2:00pm - Post-ride refreshments and Amory Park
Re-Opening Celebration.

www.brooklinebikes.org