[*BCM*] LivableStreets Event--StreetTalk! Urban Health: April 2nd, 7:00 pm

Douglas Ely doug at livablestreets.info
Tue Mar 24 14:58:51 EDT 2009

Hi Friends,

LivableStreets Alliance *StreetTalk!* Presents *Russ Lopez *on* Urban
Health: How shaping our built environment shapes ourselves.*  Come hear Russ
Lopez speak about how our built environment – from playgrounds to fast food
chains – shapes ourselves on *Thursday April 2, 7:00 - 9:00 pm *@
LivableStreets office space, 100 Sidney Street, Central Square, Cambridge.
*This event is free and open to the public, donations suggested, beer/sodas
provided compliments of Harpoon Brewery!**  *

"If there’s a supermarket in your zip code, for example, you’re 10% less
likely to be obese. If there are a lot of intersections in your neighborhood
- a sign of street connectivity and continuity - you’re less likely to be
obese. And, not surprisingly, the more time people spend in their cars, the
more likely they are to be obese” says Lopez.

*Russ Lopez*, a native of California, is an Assistant Professor at the
Boston University School of Public Health. Past employment includes working
on urban and environmental issues for then Lt. Governor John Kerry. He also
worked for ten years in various positions in for the City of Boston on
housing, community development and environmental concerns. Dr. Lopez was the
first Executive Director of the Environmental Diversity Forum, a coalition
of environmentalists and community activists advocating for environmental
justice issues throughout New England.

This event is sponsored by LivableStreets Alliance.   *For more information*,
www.livablestreets.info/node/2039

We look forward to seeing you on Thursday April 2nd!!

Sincerely,

The LivableStreets Team