[*BCM*] counters needed??

thom3 at aol.com thom3 at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 13:47:30 EDT 2009

forward

From: Phil Goff
[mailto:philgoff at altaplanning.com]

Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 11:01 AM

To: Nicole Freedman; Seiderman, Cara

Cc: Cynthia Smith

Subject: ped/bike counts in the Charles River Basin

?

Hi Nicole, Cara, I hope your summers are going well.

I wanted to give you a head's up about a large-scale bike count that Alta will
be orchestrating as part of our Charles River Basin planning work. The count is
intended to provide a benchmark number of walkers, runners, skaters and
cyclists who use the path system and the bridges. The short term goal is to
help aid with facility design--such as, where is a secondary soft-surface path
adjacent to the primary shared use path warranted--and to determine the
incremental change in use between summer and winter months. In the long term,
DCR and the Halvorson team would like to track increases in use patterns and
whether there is a noticable change in travel/recreation modes over time.

The count will be at a scale probably unprecedented in Boston. There are 25
planned locations for both a weekday evening and weekend count date. Locations
include all bridges between Watertown Square and the Museum of Science, six
locations along the Reservation, and 8-10 more key connections that do not lead
to the river bridges (Fiedler footbridge, Hawthorne and DeWolfe streets, etc.)

Proposed dates for the ped/bike count include:

1A: Saturday Sept 12th noon - 2:00 pm

1B: rain date: Saturday Sept 26 noon - 2:00 pm
     (Sept 19 is Rosh Hashannah)

2A: Tuesday Sept 22nd 4:30 - 6:30 pm

2B: rain date: Wednesday Sept 23rd 4:30 - 6:30 pm

Consultant staff will comprise 10-12 members of the count
team, but we are looking for 10-15 additional volunteers as well. I've written
to WalkBoston, LivableStreets and MasBike but am hoping that you could
circulate this request to members of your respective Advisory Committees. (BTW,
we may also have a pair of automated infrared counters at two locations to do a
24-hour count.)

Please don't hesitate to get back to me with any questions or
comments...thanks!!!

-Phil