[*BCM*] boston's bike sharing program - just another profit making scheme

Joshua Koritz joshua.koritz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:48:48 EDT 2009

hi all,

i looked into this fairly closely.  The company that got the contract to set
this up currently operates in Montreal, its called Bixi (www.bixi.com).  It
operates much the same way that Zip car works:  you pay a yearly rate, then
you pay per usage (though the first 30 minutes is free).  unlike zipcar, you
can return a bike at a different location than you picked it up.

while this is certainly an improvement over having nothing, it pales in
comparison to what we could have.  Copenhagen has a program that is run by
the City (not subcontracted out) for bikes to be used within the city center
for free.  http://www.bycyklen.dk/english/thecitybikeandcopenhagen.aspx

personally, I won't be using this new bike service.  I'll be sticking with
my trusty bike.

-josh