[*BCM*] grim scenes saturday... any news?

Hiroyuki Yamada hyamada at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 2 22:33:47 EDT 2009

Sorry to get to the party late, but I just wanted to drop in my $0.02 --
all this talk of Amsterdam and Boston's cycling culture, I thought it
necessary to bring this up. An interesting article in Transportation
Quarterly from 1998, about bicycle use and safety in Paris, Boston, and
Amsterdam. Not my favorite scholarly piece, and it doesn't really come
to any particularly striking conclusions, but it does present some
interesting data -- including the fact that there are almost 3 times as
many bicycle deaths / million people in Amsterdam as in Boston and
almost six times as many as in Paris (page 18).

Anyway, take a look. If anything, it'll give you all some more accurate
ammunition the next time the internet explodes and you feel like arguing
again.

www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/bikeuse_PBA.pdf
75KB pdf

--Yuki

ps - For the record, I agree with both sides; personally, I wear my
helmet religiously, but I also agree that it's not the only ticket -- if
even a ticket at all -- to avoiding injury, and as such maybe shouldn't
be focused on to the degree it usually is.  Better off to do your best
to ride safely, responsibly, intelligently, and more importantly VERY
aware of how vulnerable you can be and are, faced with -- as you've all
mentioned -- completely random chance, drunk drivers, Boston's
spectacular roads, et cetera. And, it *IS* everyone's choice whether to
wear or not to wear, but it's not particularly anyone's choice whether
or not Boston is friendly to cyclists (which it's not, really), so best
to make what we all can of it, and do our best to stay whole.