[*BCM*] grim scenes saturday... any news?

Turtle turtle at thewiseturtle.com
Sun Aug 2 12:21:00 EDT 2009

Helmets are indeed optional, legally and morally (except for kids and
young teens on bikes, scooters, skates), and also shown to be
dangerous in certain circumstances, so it's absolutely reasonable to
not wear one, regardless of whether you are in a car, waling in the
road, or biking.

As for going to the pub, most people living below the poverty line
don't because it's a stupid waste of money.  Though some are addicted,
and use the alcohol to help them cope with how shitty life is.  And in
that case, even if they were given a free helmet they might not wear
one because they are at least slightly suicidal (because really death
is indeed sometimes preferable to trying to live in this
overpopulated, fear-mongering, me-first society).

Regardless, the mention of whether or not someone is wearing a helmet
shows a real bias against normal people who aren't all bike savvy, or
people who've done some research and found that helmets are sometimes
dangerous.

And again, I wear one.  But I at least know that it's not perfect, and
that it's more about a certain kind of image than anything else.  I'm
a bike geek, so I wear bike geeky clothes.

-Turil