[*BCM*] dbl parked

Wolfe, Anne Anne.Wolfe at Theaa.com
Fri Mar 7 05:48:02 EST 2008

I, and I'm sure anyone here, can cite plenty of times when the law was violated in a way that inconvenienced, annoyed, or put us or others in peril.  I could form a list just from the way to work this morning.  In Britain, we have speed cameras all over the place, and they get everyone over a certain speed.  It is very consistent enforcement, raises revenue and also costs a lot less than police on the street having to stop people, block more traffic and write tickets.  There's also evidence that since they came in, people do in fact speed less as they're much more likely to get caught.

People *hate* speed cameras.  Though I know a friend who's terribly proud of getting a speeding ticket from one of them while on his bike in Hong Kong, but I digress.

There are also many cameras at intersections to prevent people running red lights.  Although there's less of them now than there used to be as there is less need.  Since people know they're going to be caught, they don't run the lights.  Consistent enforcement by an always present monitor.  People hate those cameras too.

The cold hard fact of the matter is that people hate getting caught.  "It is ok when I do it because I'm safer/know what I'm doing/took all the right precautions/am a better driver or cyclist or pedestrian than everyone else" and of course the perpetual favourite "well, it is just a stupid law anyway."

If you want the really consistent enforcement, you've got to find a way to have it, and that means lots more cops.  Or at least lots more traffic cops.  I have yet to find anyone who wants to pay for more cops, but many people want to have more.  Was there a cop around when this woman put her baby's stroller in the bike lane?  Will you care if you are busted for a traffic violation despite the fact that your "riding style reflects that kind of chaos?"

There are points where you decide to be part of the problem or part of the solution.  What the solution is can vary considerably.  People on here urged Thom to lead a campaign against double parked cars, and then they would follow.  As he then rightly pointed out, you don't need him to lead a campaign, you need to get off your backside and lead/make/create your own campaign.  He even gave you the resources to do it.  But I haven't seen anyone say "Thanks man, what a great idea, I'll start doing just that."  Complaining to like minded-ish individuals, pouting and being in a bad mood about it all is one thing.  Actually doing something about it is another.  And whichever you choose, I feel confident that you'll get the justice you've earned in the long run.