[*BCM*] Just got "pulled over" for running a red on Mass. Ave.

Gondaba gondaba at gondaba.com
Thu Mar 6 09:29:59 EST 2008

Ridiculous. I was in Cambridge on Mass Ave, right in front of the large
MIT crosswalk. The crosswalk had a red light, sure, but it was pretty
clear and I was in no danger of hitting the poor little pedestrians. A
Cambridge Cop standing next to his motorcycle flags three of us down
after the crosswalk and tells us to stay put. He proceeds to ask for our
IDs and issue each one of us a $20 fine.

The ticket itself seems to be some kind of civil violation; there was a
nice little place for "Bicycle / Red Light" that he checked off, amongst
a host of other bicycle violations and, for example, "Improper disposal
of dog feces," which is a $25 fine.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
And, because I don't have a car, insurance, or even a license, do I
really have to pay this fine? What're they going to do?

Be wary, fellow red-light runners...

Chris