[*BCM*] Longfellow / Cambridge Bike Police

Mars martian at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 30 16:02:50 EDT 2008

Anne Wolfe wrote:
> Cyclists who run red lights are at greater risk of potential harm as
> when they're struck by oncoming traffic they have nothing to protect
> them.  Unlike, say, being in a car which is struck.
I don't think that really matters. If a cyclists wants to be reckless
and endanger their own life, that's their choice, but what they are not
doing is navigating a ~2000lb weapon which could easily kill others. It
is certainly possible for a cyclist to harm and perhaps kill others upon
collision, but FAR less likely.

In other words, cyclists breaking the law are more of a nuisance where
motorists doing the same are more of a threat to other people.