[*BCM*] Drunk driver gets 10 1/2 years for killing cyclist

Jon Ramos jontramos at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 16:54:44 EST 2008

I second that.  Driving is a privilidge, not a right, but many rulings are leiniant because (like Jym said) the offender "needs" to drive.

My father was a repeat DWI offender in NH.  The state only took his license away after being caught 3 times! (he was only *CAUGHT* 3 times) And when they finally did take away his license, it was only for 6 months, and he drove that whole time without a license anyway.  It needs to be made clear to drivers that it is NOT an american right to drive.  I think we should impound offender's cars, and provide them with a nice steel commuter bicycle.

I love my dad.  Eventually he was sucessfully rehabilitated from his alcoholism, but it took 3 times being caught, thousands of dollars of fines, 3 heart attacks (he also had eating / smoking problems), and my mom threatening a divorce to get him to wake up.

He is also losing his eyesight, and he has extremely slow reflexes... yet he still drives, but that is a different discussion.

- Jon