[*BCM*] writing a bike story, looking for voices

Steph Koyfman koyfman at bu.edu
Thu Dec 11 17:16:23 EST 2008

Hello all -

I'm a journalism student at BU writing my enterprise story on the bike reform movement in Boston - this has mostly to do with Menino electing Nicole Freedman, what her life has been about, and how this creates a conversation with existing movements around the city.  As you've probably already guessed, I would love to have your input on this.  I already talked to Adam, who was listed on the site as the leader but he told me I might strike more gold speaking with any of you.

I probably won't be sitting down to actually write this until Saturday.  If you can get back to me at all by then, it would be much appreciated.

The questions so far:
-When and where did Critical Mass take its roots? What were the conditions that prompted this?  (I actually think I met the guy that coined the phrase in a documentary, sitting in a loft in SoHo, he was pretty old so I'm assuming it's been around for awhile.)
-What is the overriding philosophy of CM?
-What do you believe is the extent of your influence?
-How have people responded to you?
-Are you involved with the City of Boston, either directly or indirectly?
-How do you feel about Mayor Menino's bike initiative?

Again, I realize how short notice this is - my thanks in advance.

-Steph