[*BCM*] NYT\L: The Cyclists and the Police

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Wed Aug 13 13:05:02 EDT 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/opinion/lweb13bikes.html

To the Editor:

Re "Police and a Cyclists' Group, and Four Years of Clashes"
(news article, Aug. 4), in which I am quoted as the director
of Time's Up, which promotes the Critical Mass rides but is
not involved in organizing them:

The function of Critical Mass is to create a safe space where
people can ride together. Group rides like Critical Mass play
an important role in generating new cyclists, who in turn become
everyday bike commuters. The ride grew steadily for a decade
until the crackdown after the 2004 Republican National
Convention in New York City.

The article reports that Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly
"said the Police Department wants to work with the riders."
By no means has the Police Department tried to work with us.
Critical Mass riders have been harassed, spied on, beaten,
arrested and even sued by the city. Yet we have prevailed in
the courtroom -- it has been proved over and over that police
statements do not match videotaped evidence.

We also contest Mr. Kelly's claim that Critical Mass riders
go against traffic. While it is true that the ride has no set
route, under normal circumstances, it does follow the traffic
flow.

Most appalling is Mr. Kelly's and the spokesman's assertion
that the ride was "hijacked" by an "anarchist group" before
the Republican convention. This is a baseless scare tactic.
Critical Mass has no leaders. The lack of control that Mr. Kelly
calls anarchy can be better termed community.

We are aware that the phenomenon of leaderless mass bike rides
can be perceived as something different and unusual to the
police. But that does not make it provocation or anarchy. It is
a celebration of what our streets could look like in a better
New York City.

	Bill DiPaola
	New York, Aug. 5, 2008

The writer is the executive director of Time's Up, an
environmental organization.

Related Link