[*BCM*] John Hays

John Hays jjhays2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:16:46 EDT 2007

I apologize if my language was unclear - I didn't  mean to suggest that,
as individuals, college students and 20 year olds are, generally
thieves. I was expressing, in perhaps too colloquially a manner,
generalizations about those groups across a large population. If you
were to take a million people in their 50s, and a million people in
their 20s, the odds are overwhelming that the group of 20 year olds
would contain far, far more thieves than the group of 50 year olds. Of
the data we have about criminal behavior, we are able to make a few
highly supported generalizations, among them being that young people (as
a group) commit more crime than older people, and men (as a group)
commit more crime than women (as well as a few other, less fashionable
generalizations that we don't necessarily have to get into).

I should point out that I am 24, and the overwhelming majority of my
friends are obviously in their 20s.

And I rather think my position is far, far more defensible than the
ludicrous notion that --drug addicts-- are responsible for most of the
city's property theft.

- John