[*BCM*] Scooters in the bike lanes

ThoM3 at aol.com ThoM3 at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 21:04:20 EDT 2007

That was Not me in Inman Sq... and the guy was weaving to pass on the right
(you are right) without signaling.

I think motorized vehicles are too big and too fast to be in the bike lane
period

In a message dated 9/21/2007 8:58:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, red at mit.edu
writes:

On Fri,  Sep 21, 2007 at 08:27:23PM -0400, ThoM3 at aol.com wrote:
> are motorized  scooters and mopeds allowed in the bike lanes?

Yes, under certain  circumstances:  http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/7moped.htm
Specifically:

"In order  to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:

* Have a  cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
*  Have an automatic transmission.
* Be capable of a maximum  speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
* Comply with all  applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards."

So if it has a  sticker and no plates, it's likely legal to ride in the
bike lane. Anything  else requires a motorcycle license and plates, as
I understand it, though I  haven't confirmed that with a citation.

> I find it hazardous  when they use them to pass cars on the  left

I assume you mean on  the right. Being confined to a Vespa instead of
my bike lately (surgery  preventing me from doing much with my legs),
I think it would be hazardous  to ride at full speed in the lane, but
riding at bike speed seemed no more  dangerous than riding a bike there
does. I tend to prefer to ride in the  main traffic lane unless there's
crazy traffic.  Your opinion may  vary; but riding in the bike lane on
a moped is, in MA,  legal.

-r.

And if that was you in Inman Square this morning, I  was like 200 feet in
front of you and totally signalled.  :)