[*BCM*] Scooters in the bike lanes

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon red at mit.edu
Fri Sep 21 20:58:02 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 08:27:23PM -0400, ThoM3 at aol.com wrote:
> are motorized scooters and mopeds allowed in the bike lanes?

Yes, under certain circumstances: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/7moped.htm
Specifically:

"In order to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:

    * Have a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
    * Have an automatic transmission.
    * Be capable of a maximum speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
    * Comply with all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards."

So if it has a sticker and no plates, it's likely legal to ride in the
bike lane. Anything else requires a motorcycle license and plates, as
I understand it, though I haven't confirmed that with a citation.

> I find it hazardous when they use them to pass cars on the  left

I assume you mean on the right. Being confined to a Vespa instead of
my bike lately (surgery preventing me from doing much with my legs),
I think it would be hazardous to ride at full speed in the lane, but
riding at bike speed seemed no more dangerous than riding a bike there
does. I tend to prefer to ride in the main traffic lane unless there's
crazy traffic.  Your opinion may vary; but riding in the bike lane on
a moped is, in MA, legal.

-r.

And if that was you in Inman Square this morning, I was like 200 feet in
front of you and totally signalled. :)