[*BCM*] riding on the sidewalk was Re: Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 39, Issue 17

Jim Leonard jim_bcm at xuth.net
Wed Sep 19 12:34:07 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 10:30:04AM -0400, Elisha Marshall wrote:
> I would agree. I think riding on the sidewalk is very dangerous, maybe
> not for the cyclist, but definitely for pedestrians. Most sidewalks
> aren't wide enough for walkers and bikers to share the same space
> anyway. If you must ride on the sidewalk (I'm guessing there are
> times...), please go slow and be ready to stop.

Actually it's quite dangerous for the cyclist.  Cars pulling out of
driveways and sidestreets can't see you until it's too late and even
when they can they aren't looking for people moving faster than walking
speed.

But if you read the MGL you will see that yes it is legal for an adult
to ride on a sidewalk except posted business districts.

--jim