[*BCM*] reconsider routes to prevent public safety threat

T B pfadfa at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 2 03:51:01 EDT 2007

Karen,

The responses to your post thus far have been excellent, but I’d like to
address your points in a slightly different manner:

Firstly, you falsely state that Critical Mass “caused a gridlock”.  It would
be more accurate to say that gridlock occurred as a result of a number of
factors, such as: the dominance of automobiles as forms of transportation
(which, itself, is the result of many factors, including but certainly not
limited to the General Motors Streetcar Scandal); the automobile-centric
transportation planning perpetrated by local and national planners; the
automobile-centric zoning perpetrated by local officials; the underfunding
of public transportation by local and national governing bodies; and
Critical Mass.  It’s worth noting that, of this short list, you single out
Critical Mass, which, unlike any of the other factors, impacts a very small
geographic area (a few blocks) for a very short period of time (each area
for maybe a half hour once a month).  The rest of the list accounts for
traffic jams and slow-downs covering large geographic areas (large portions
of entire metropolitan areas) for long periods of time (hours each day).
Critical Mass also plays no role in perpetuating the current state of
affairs where “deaths and injuries resulting from motor vehicle crashes are
the leading cause of death for persons of every age from 2 through 33 years
old” (source: www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/2002ovrfacts.pdf) – nor much role
in climate change or suburban alienation.

So why is it that you single out CM?  I suspect that the answers are these:
it’s easier, and you benefit from car culture.  It’s easier to oppose
Critical Mass’ strategy than it is to address the dysfunctional
transportation set-up in this country (and much of the world).  And you
benefit from car culture because the transportation set-up is designed to
cater to cars and you have one.

If Boston Critical Mass were to somehow come up with planned routes that
avoided tying up traffic (a logistical impossibility) it would merely leave
the whole transportation issue unaddressed.  We are the reminder that
something is wrong, and that another way is possible.  Our getting out of
the way of status quo transportation would of course make it easier on the
status quo.  But this is always the case with any marginalized population,
and it doesn’t actually help anything – other than the conscience of those
who identify with the status quo.

I also dispute that your claimed identity as a motorist and a cyclist
enables you to “see things from both sides”.  You are not a cyclist in the
way that I am a cyclist.  Because I can’t afford a car, it is either my bike
or the MBTA that gets me around.  You have the luxury of the choice of
driving – of dropping yourself down on the transportation hierarchy of
privilege if you so choose – or not.  I do not have that option.  I am
always on the lowest rung, having to deal with a transportation system that
considers me last, if at all.  For this reason, you necessarily have an
entirely different relationship to your bike and cycling than I do.

I appreciate your interest in dialogue, but I’m somewhat disturbed by your
seeming implication that you’ve already done your part.  I would beg to
differ.  Your insistence on our addressing cycling issues your way is no
more appropriate than if we were to insist that you do it ours.  Certainly,
a dialogue about strategy is welcome.  So please come ride with us, so that
you may begin to have an understanding of what it is that we’re doing.  You
don’t have to come back if you don’t want to, but any fruitful dialogue
necessitates understanding.