[*BCM*] reconsider routes to prevent public safety threat

Karen Martakos kmartakos at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 14:07:50 EDT 2007

Hi, guys -

While I'm not a Crititcal Mass participant, I am an
avid cyclist in the greater Boston area. I do
understand the need for more bike-friendly roadways
around here. I am, however, also a motorist. So, I see
things from both sides. Any mature person with an
ounce of common sense should understand that
activities that generate more hard feelings against
cyclists from the average citzen are not going to help
our efforts.

During your most recent ride ( August 31), you rode
down Tremont St. through the South End. I  know
because I was walking through the neighborhood at the
time. What you may or may not realize is that by
blocking this portion of Tremont St, you caused a
gridlock that spread 6 blocks away, onto other major
roadways in the area. See, most streets in that
neighborhood are one-way, all eventually leading to
Tremont St. If a long section of Tremont is
obstructed, it causes severe backup onto Shawmut Ave.
& East Berkeley.

Why should you care about this? Because, while
Critical Mass claims that they will make way for
emergency vehicles, how could you possibly know about
an emergency vehicle that is stuck 4 blocks away in
the gridlock that you created? Drawing attention to
cycling issues by riding en mass through the city is
one thing; completely locking in an entire
neighborhood is something entirely different.

These activities only serve to generate further
hostility towards cyclists. This is the primary reason
why I do not participate in your rides. While I do
follow any efforts to improve conditions for
alternative transportation, I don't believe that your
methods are effective.

Perhaps if you consider your routes more carefully, to
prevent the type of public safety threat that you
caused in the South End last Friday, you'd have more
support.

There is no progress without dilalogue. There is no
dilague when your mission is solely to piss off as
many people as possible.