[*BCM*] (no subject)

TSmith4918 at aol.com TSmith4918 at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 09:54:55 EDT 2007

two cents:  I was out with my teenage kid (yeah, so ok, I'm old)  teaching
him to drive and explaining the door zone to him (which they apparently  teach
now in driver's ed) from a driver's standpoint (scanning for parked  drivers,
etc) and how that also applies to his biking.....bottom line with  regard to
the zone:  ride like you drive.     fortunately I have never been doored and do
whatever I can to avoid  it  even if it incurs the wrath of drivers behind
me...they  usually get over it and go around.  also fortunate not to have been
run  over by traffic while avoiding the door zone <knocking on anything
resembling  wood> but plenty of close calls.  I think people in cars are generally
(used very loosely) more aware than they were twenty years ago but it's relative
 and it only takes one guy in a rush to mess up a good ride.

-Tim

In a message dated 10/8/2007 8:32:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
thouis at gmail.com writes:

On  10/7/07, lynchy123 at beld.net <lynchy123 at beld.net> wrote:
> "In  addition, cars rarely get screamed at when they take the lane in an
>  effort to avoid getting doored."
>
> That is a completely  different problem.  You cant blame people getting out
> of their  cars because you don't have the gusto to take what is legally
>  yours.  If you don't want to get doored stay out of the dooring  zone.

It's true that we should bike outside the dooring  zone.