[*BCM*] Politics ----> "Dooring"

Hiroyuki G Yamada hyamada at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 5 22:02:39 EDT 2007

I agree -- Car doors have caused at least one accident for me, and 3 for
my brother, 1 of which effectively ruined his bike *and* both he and the
driver were injured (his scrapes etc much worse than the driver's jammed
wrist). If you're in traffic and keeping pace with traffic, and most
likely shunted off to the side of the road by some car tailing you, it's
pretty easy to be within the strike zone of a car door.

Someone opening their door on a street should be careful *anyway,* of
other cars if not of bikes. If it's parked w/ the traffic, there's a
decent chance that if you slam the door wide open it could get ripped
right off its hinge if the car that hits you is going fast enough.

All it takes is half a second to look behind you.

--Yuki