[*BCM*] Politics ----> "Dooring"

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Fri Oct 5 20:07:47 EDT 2007

> I like the new law except the piece on "dooring."  I think
> that someone who is exiting a car is a pedestrian and should
> be afforded all the rights of one.

=v= No, they are operating a motor vehicle.  They may not be
operating the worst part of it, but it is a dangerous part.

=v= Car doors can and do harm people, damage things, and in
many locations they are the #1 source of injury to bicyclists.
You don't solve that problem by misdefining their operators
as pedestrians and bicyclists as therefore in the wrong.

=v= Most states hold car door operators legally responsible
for the consequences of their actions.

=v= When they're not operating car doors, I agree 100% that
people qualify as pedestrians.
    <_Jym_>