No subject

Mon Nov 5 13:54:42 EST 2007

lack of reliable, affordable transport. Walking miles through the heat or
spending 50% of their income on carfare has crippled many communities. The
rural way of life is in crisis as many people leave their villages in hopes
of better options in the capital city of Accra. When sustainable
transportation is introduced it becomes a tool of development, enabling
people to generate and save money. Education, health care and jobs become
accessible without having to leave permanently. Ayamye* begins in Boston
where volunteers work for two days loading a container with donated used
bikes and parts. Through skillful packing, 450 bikes are loaded and the
container is sent to Ghana, West Africa. A year later the film catches up
with the community to see if the bikes are still maintained and how the long
term effect of mobility has improved their situation in life, and in turn
the development of the village."

*HELP SEND BIKES TO BARBADOS*
Saturday Nov 10th
10:30-3:30

Volunteers needed on Saturday November 10th, to help load up nearly 500
donated bikes going to Barbados. This shipment is a partnership with Bikes
For The World in Washington DC, who normally supply the bikes to this
project.  We start at 10:30 am and work until we finish, which we expect to
be around 3:30pm.  We'll take a break around 1pm for a pizza lunch
(provided) and a short talk about the project.  Volunteers can come for any
part of this time that works for you.  Experience not required.

The Pinelands Creative Workshop is a progressive NGO in
Bridgetown, Barbados.  They've run a bike workshop since 1995.  Bike sales
support their other programs, including an Afro-Caribbean performing arts
program centered on at-risk youth, a Meals on Wheels program, a micro-credit
program, etc., as well as its general administration, which overseas
these programs and others.  The PCW uses a popular theatre approach which is
different from traditional theatre in that productions are linked to
community needs and concerns. In planning the production, members talk to
residents, both as individuals and in informal groups, to identify themes
and issues.  In this way, the production becomes a vehicle for educating the
community about major social issues including crime, racism, health, teenage
pregnancies, parenting and AIDS.

DIRECTIONS:
This event does NOT happen at Bikes Not Bombs. We will be loading from a big
parking lot at 179 Boylston St., Jamaica Plain, 2 blocks from the StonyBrook
T stop on the Orange Line. Coming from the NEW BNB at 284 Amory Street, turn
right on Amory (which puts you travelling away from the Green St T stop,
towards the StoneyBrook T stop). Turn right on Boylston Street (where the
StoneyBrook T stop is on your left) and then turn right into a large parking
lot which is part of the Brewery Complex. You'll see our 40 ft. shipping
container parked in this lot, just off the street.

------=_Part_49948_26815791.1194451207047

Not Bombs has sent 15 shipments to the Village Bicycle Project in Ghana
over the past few years (5 of those in 2007 so far), which totals over
7,000 bikes.&nbsp; So we are very excited to screen a 40 minute documentary
film which follows a shipment of bikes loaded at BNB, to the market in
Ghana&#39;s capital, and out to rural villages.&nbsp; The film has just
completed a world tour of independent film festivals, and now we&#39;ve got
a copy to share.&nbsp; It is called AYAMYE, which in the Twi language of
Dave Peckham is the state-side director of the Village Bicycle Project,
arranging the shipments and tools that are sent to Ghana.&nbsp; Dave is just
back from a trip to Ghana, and will be here to lead a discussion and
answer questions after the film.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div style="margin: 0px;">* BNB
Shop mechanic David Branigan will be here to discuss.&nbsp; David worked
with the VBP in Ghana before coming to work at Bikes Not Bombs, and
he&#39;s featured in the film.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div style="margin: 0px;">* Keith
Oberg is the director of the Washington DC organization Bikes For The
World, with whom we are partnering for our new shipments to Panama and
Barbados.&nbsp; Keith will be here to meet BNB volunteers and to join in the
the film&#39;s website: &quot;Millions of rural Ghanaians suffer from a critical
lack of reliable, affordable transport. Walking miles through the heat
or spending 50% of their income on carfare has crippled many
communities. The rural way of life is in crisis as many people leave
their villages in hopes of better options in the capital city of Accra.
When sustainable transportation is introduced it becomes a tool of
development, enabling people to generate and save money. Education,
health care and jobs become accessible without having to leave
permanently.&nbsp;Ayamye* begins in Boston where volunteers work for two
days loading a container with donated used bikes and parts. Through
skillful packing, 450 bikes are loaded and the container is sent to
Ghana, West Africa.&nbsp;A year later the film catches up with the community
to see if the bikes are still maintained and how the long term effect
of mobility has improved their situation in life, and in turn the
needed on Saturday November 10th, to help load up nearly 500 donated
bikes going to Barbados. This shipment is a partnership with Bikes For
The World in Washington DC, who normally supply the bikes to this
project.&nbsp; We start at 10:30 am and work until we finish, which we
expect to be around 3:30pm.&nbsp; We&#39;ll take a break around 1pm for a pizza
lunch (provided) and a short talk about the project.&nbsp; Volunteers can
come for any part of this time that works for you.&nbsp; Experience not
Pinelands Creative Workshop is a progressive NGO in
Bridgetown,&nbsp;Barbados.&nbsp; They&#39;ve run a bike workshop since 1995.&nbsp; Bike
sales support their other programs, including an
Afro-Caribbean&nbsp;performing arts program centered on at-risk youth, a
Meals on Wheels&nbsp;program, a micro-credit program, etc., as well as its
general administration, which overseas these&nbsp;programs and others.&nbsp;&nbsp;The
PCW uses a popular theatre approach which is different from traditional
theatre in that productions are linked to community needs and concerns.
In planning the production, members talk to residents, both as
individuals and in informal groups, to identify themes and issues.&nbsp; In
this way, the production becomes a vehicle for educating the community
about major social issues including crime, racism, health, teenage
event does NOT happen at Bikes Not Bombs. We will be loading from a big
parking lot at 179 Boylston St., Jamaica Plain, 2 blocks from the
StonyBrook T stop on the Orange Line. Coming from the NEW BNB at 284
Amory Street, turn right on Amory (which puts you travelling away from
the Green St T stop, towards the StoneyBrook T stop). Turn right on
Boylston Street (where the StoneyBrook T stop is on your left) and then
turn right into a large parking lot which is part of the Brewery
Complex. You&#39;ll see our 40 ft. shipping container parked in this lot,

------=_Part_49948_26815791.1194451207047--