[*BCM*] I'm okay!

Ben Allen benjcallen at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 12:27:59 EDT 2007

Fellow bikers,

This is Ben, who got injured on Mem drive last night.  I just wanted to say that I’m all right.   I got stitched up and discharged last night,
and I’m not even in much pain at the moment.

I also wanted to say a humongous thank you to all those who
helped me out or reassured me, especially the nursing school dropout whose name
I do not know.  You did such an amazing
job, I wasn’t even bleeding anymore when the EMT’s came.   I don’t know how much worse it would have
been if you hadn’t been there.

What happened was that I was riding with one hand and making
plans to meet my girlfriend Anna on my cell phone.  The end of our conversation went something
like this:

ANNA: Wait, are you biking right now?

ME: Yeah

ANNA: Isn’t that a bad idea?

ME: I think it’s pretty safe, I mean there aren’t any cars
here and…  SHIT! FUCK!  (crash)

We were just coming uphill out of a tunnel and I hadn’t
built up enough speed to maintain balance.
I tried to change gears with one hand and fell instead.  In doing so I somehow impaled my left inside
thigh.  I’m not sure on what,
exactly.  Possibly the brakes.

Apparently I broke some arteries, but not the really
important one.   I was bleeding a whole
lot, but super nursing woman stopped it.
I never lost consciousness or anything.
And again, I’m fine now.  Just not
walking too well.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.   One of you has my cell phone, so if that’s
you, emailing me or calling 857-998-0269 would be much appreciated.

Peace,

Ben