[*BCM*] Filter Masks

Greg Howard gh at bu.edu
Mon Jun 11 13:18:10 EDT 2007

> A mask like this won't filter out any of the toxic gases that motor vehicles
> produce but it will take care of the particulates.

I don't know the mask details, but I believe that the simpler and
cheaper masks tend to filter the bigger particles -- whereas the
smaller ones are much more toxic.  Filtering dust-sized particles is
not a bad idea, but to be effective against car exhaust I think you'd
want something that filtered small stuff, i.e. PM2.5 (less than 2.5
microns) or even PM1 (under a micron).  I would assume that dust masks
are essentially ineffectual against those.

Ozone is probably as big an issue, and won't be addressed by masks.
All in all, I doubt it's worth it, except in certain conditions (e.g.,
pollen and allergies).

greg