[*BCM*] Filter Masks

Ben Hunrichs hunrichs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 12:20:18 EDT 2007

As I understand it, any surgical mask you're likely to want to wear
while riding a bike won't do anything to filter out car exhaust.  Cloth
surgical masks are there to prevent particles of spit from getting on
the patient.  To protect yourself from small particles (including most
bacteria), you'd need to have a mask that sealed very well on your face
and had built in filters (HEPA filters for biological contaminants).
This type of mask may help with some of the particulate matter in car
exhaust, but are unlikely to do anything at all for the gaseous
components.  For that you need a separate air supply or some kind of
elaborate filtering mechanism (maybe activated carbon, I don't know).

I've used HEPA filter masks and they're no fun to wear.  They get sweaty
and you have to exert extra effort to force your incoming air through
the filters.

ben