[*BCM*] this guy...

Mars martian at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 8 13:39:18 EDT 2007

The guy wrote:

/Unless and until cyclists start obeying current laws (for instance, by
using reflectors and lights at night, and by discontinuing to ride
without the use of hands) they shouldn't be surprised if "dooring"
becomes a fine --- and widely practiced --- art. It's not enough to wear
helmets; cyclists need to use what's inside those helmets, too./

I wouldn't consider that to be advocating anything. He's saying that
cyclists are going to have to realize that perhaps the reason we don't
get the respect we deserve on the road is because WE don't respect the
road. He didn't say, "Who caress if bikers die, they're annoying". I
feel like people are over-reacting to this guys comments because it's
not what people want to hear.

A couple of years ago when Lady K died out in Allston, didn't she ride
down a pedestrian ramp right out into the road without stopping to see
if there was any traffic? It's a terrible thing to happen, but
regardless of how tired we are of our roads being congested with smog
machines, I feel that we would be making a mockery of ourselves by
trying to 'blame' cars for our greatest losses when they very well may
not have been at fault.

Certainly, if the person driving the vehicle in either of these
situations had had never purchased a car, perhaps the victims would
still be alive, but we need to face reality, not an ideal reality in
which everyone listens to us and decides to stop using cars as their
primary means of getting around.