[*BCM*] Trying to write a sweet story

Marc Larocque marc.p.larocque at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:11:48 EST 2007

Hoooowdy yall!

Anyways, this is Marc Larocque, again, Northeastern University student and
recently installed co-op for the City Weekly section at the Boston Globe. I
just saw an article recently published in the Daily Free Press ("Taking back
the streets," Dec. 5, 2007) about Critical Mass. That's a shame. I wanted to
be the first journalist to it in Boston to write a story about it. Anyways,
I'm still trying to do it. But I'm going to do it differently. I'm going to
join you guys on the next ride. I have anecdotes from previous rides from
other people. I have some history. I have characters. I'm going to use
chronology and narrative. Though I still have a lot of research to do (for
instance: I need to find out how many people in Boston have died from cars,
and how many injured within different frames of time). I hope it's fun and
many people show even though their might be snow. It's an interesting angle
that there are a lot of students participating, hopefully someone could give
me comment on that.

But I don't have the history of how the Boston chapter of Critical Mass was
initiated. It'd be so great if someone would come forth and enlighten me in
an interview. In the Daily Free Press, it was reported that "since its
establishment in 1992, Critical Mass has had no official organizers or
participants, according to its website. The movement was born from a small
group of people who wanted to ride with a message, and word-of-mouth
eventually brought the practice to other neighboring cities. Today, many
cyclists even refuse to call the movement a type of organization."

I'd like to see if this is true. And when did the Boston group substantiate.

And now it occurs to me that the New Yorker magazine wrote an article in
2006 about the overall group and how it started in San Fran., a big thing
for it was the RNC in NYC. But I want to write about the Boston Critical
Mass. What's cool about the Boston Critical Mass.

Thanks to whoever could help, I just want to get it right.

Marc Larocque
Fledgling Journalist
Northeastern University
Boston Globe