[*BCM*] Critical Mass Boston Globe feature story

Paul Centro gh3451 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 12:50:49 EST 2007

What may lead one to be dubious about this posting is the following link:

  http://search.boston.com/local/Search.do?s.sm.query=%22critical%20mass%22%20bicycle%20&s.startDate=&s.endDate=&s.collections=bostonGlobe:&new=n&s.si(simplesearchinput).sortBy=-articleprintpublicationdate&s.si(simplesearchinput).offset=20

  There are a number of articles going as far back as1994, most requiring a fee to read, that anyone with even a cursory connection to The Globe should be able to access and read.

  Assuming legitimacy, one must always be leary of Globe reporters with a "mission."  The groups that I care deeply about that have made it into print are usually trashed by the preconceived notions that tag along with that mission.

  However, being an almost compulsive newspaper reader, I can assure you that the stuff appearing in the regional sections is almost all fluff.  I'd give the kid a chance.

Marc Larocque <marc.p.larocque at gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi,
  I'm working for the Boston Globe, just starting there as a co-op from Northeastern University. My mission is to show the greater Boston community what Critical Mass is all about, even in the cold of winter. I'm going to ride along at the next Critical Mass event at the end of the month. I just want to talk to people about their motivation for doing this (better bicycling conditions? environmentalism? awareness of bicycle riders on the road who are prone to being hit?). The only thing I've found in my archives is a story published in the Globe about Critical Mass L.A. and one in the NYTimes about the N.Y.C. Critical Mass. I'm definitely not trying to trash Critical Mass (as some have pointed my previous e-mail seemed "dubious." I have a few friends that are involved and they love it! I just need as much information as possible. Let me know if this is alright. I'd like to talk to individuals: newcomers and oldtimers at Critical Mass. Please, please help me write a fun
 feature on Critical Mass for the Globe's City Weekly section.

Marc Larocque
Fledgling Journalist
Northeastern University
Boston Globe