[*BCM*] Critical Mess?

Jeremy Chase jchase at chaselimited.com
Tue Dec 4 12:34:10 EST 2007

The masses I've gone to have been very positive. At this last one a
woman asked what we were
doing and I stopped at told her that we were "celebrating bikes as
transportation". She seemed
fine with that, and as we were riding away some kid was like "we
should subvert the message!"
and I wanted to put a stick in his spokes.

No organization is nice, but it also attracts a lot of people who are
doing no good.

Jer

On Dec 4, 2007 11:22 AM, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon <rachel at akrasiac.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 10:58:02AM -0500, Jeff Young wrote:
> > Greetings fellow mischief makers,
> >
> > I saw this link and can't remember if this has gone around yet, or not; but,
> > it's fairly in-depth:
> > http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s-3-12-16552-1,00.html?cm_mmc=Bicycling%20NL-_-2007_12_04-_-News-_-CriticalMass
> >
> > Let me know what you think...
>
> I really liked the article, thanks for sharing it. I found this sentence
> interesting: "The strength of Critical Mass--nobody in control--may
> also be its most profound shortcoming." The story about how it worked
> in London sounded really positive, though.
>
> > Jees, it sure has been quiet on this thread--where'd all those rowdy scooter
> > folks go?
>
> Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm recovered and back on my bike as
> of about a month ago. I don't miss the scooter at all, except for its
> ability to carry a second person; clearly I need a tandem.
>
> -r.

Jeremy Chase
Founder, Chase Software Limited Inc.