No subject

Sun Aug 26 20:09:11 EDT 2007

Every person operating a bicycle upon a way, as defined in section
one of chapter ninety, shall have the right to use all public ways
in the commonwealth except limited access or express state highways
where signs specifically prohibiting bicycles have been posted, and
shall be subject to the traffic laws and regulations of the
commonwealth and the special regulations contained in this section,
except that: (1) the bicycle operator may keep to the right when
passing a motor vehicle which is moving in the travel lane of the
way, (2) the bicycle operator shall signal by either hand his
intention to stop or turn, and (3) bicycles may be ridden on
sidewalks outside business districts when necessary in the interest
of safety, unless otherwise directed by local ordinance. A person
operating a bicycle on the sidewalk shall yield the right of way
to pedestrians and give an audible signal before overtaking and
passing any pedestrian.

The full set of laws can be found here:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/

The pointers to the sections most affecting cyclists are here:
http://massbike.org/bikelaw/

> I was in the street, not the side walk, and I came to
> a stop before I did it (so I didnt just speed through
> the  intersection carelessly).

It matters none.  Legally you would have had to pull off of the road
and walk your bike across the street to use the walk light.

> I dont want to start a rant, just wondering the law
> and where I can find out info like this.

Another responder says he often goes on the walk light so that he can
establish his position on the road.  The legal way of doing this (and
what I generally recommend to people) is to queue up with traffic just
like any other vehicle and stay in the middle of the lane until you are
through the intersection.  Since you are moving as fast as the stopped
traffic there is no problem with slow speed laws etc.  Only once you are
safely a part of the traffic pattern should you move over to the right.

--jim