[*BCM*] BCM Website

jim_bcm at xuth.net jim_bcm at xuth.net
Wed Apr 11 17:12:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 Mars wrote:

> There's nothing WRONG with them, but it's 2007. There's nothing WRONG
> with gopher or nntp either; They're just obsolete.

And a web based forum is any different from a BBS forum from the early
80's in what way?  For the most part they have the same interface and
the same problems that you had 25 years ago.  Anyone who says the web
based fora are new are deluding themselves.

In another message Mars wrote:
> How is it (a mailing list --jim) more convenient?

I get my messages in one central location with an interface that I choose and
configure.  I have a consistent interface for viewing threads and messages
and a consistent editor for my responses.  I don't have stupid animated
icons and smilies on my email interface.  It is extremely secure as I don't
have to worry about the latest browser/javascript/flash exploit.

> You have to subscribe to it, exposing your
> email address to many people that you don't know

If you're someone who always wants the latest and greatest how is it that
you can't create new email addresses on demand, using that for both
filtering and evidence for where someone got your address.  (to be fair,
I only just converted this mailing list from the address that I've had
for many years to a new BCM list only address).

> half the messages get
> spamscreened by my server,

Then clearly you or the person maintaining the spam filter is doing
something wrong.  Mailing list traffic is the absolute easiest type of
message for a spam filter to correctly process.

> and there is no way for newcomers to view

And the archives are what?  If you bothered to look at the information
included in *every* BCM list message you'd see how to access the
archives.

--jim