[*BCM*] Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 34, Issue 25

s j applebutter at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 11:52:30 EDT 2007

ghost bike memorial:
i will be out of town at 5pm today, sadly, but will be paying my respects
later to the memorial.  thanks, lee, for organizing.

part of why i think cyclists don't follow laws of the road:
the fun, ease, and agility which bike riding affords can lead to riders
feeling they can get away with a lot more than they can, at least legally
and safely.  that's my achille's heel.  as i ride more and more, my
perception about how much time and space i need to leave others gets more
accute.  i know how to practice safe cycling, and sometimes do, i admit, act
contrary to those practices - usually receiving a warning in mild enough
form that i am not hurt, reminding me how vulnerable i am and how everyone
on the roads (pedestrians, cyclists, truck drivers, mini drivers, etc.)
could all stand to go about their lives paying a little more attention to
the world around them, and walking/cycling/driving more defensively.

safe routes vs. going direct:
i love riding mass ave.   it's accessible everywhere and fairly consistent,
which is less true of all the one-way/dead ends/one block long smaller
streets.  but it's far from the safest route.  i can get around much more
easily and with less stress on the side streets, which i am learning to love
more.  it takes more time and a spot of effort to get to know a
less-traveled route, but it's well worth it.  i won't stop taking mass ave
when it gets me where i need to go, but i tweak up my antennae and try to
prepare for the worst every time i commute.

public awareness of BCM:
before i knew what BCM was about, i saw the riders a few times around town
and had no idea what it was about.  i never rememebered when i saw it that
the date followed any pattern.  i enjoyed seeing the group riding, but it
didn't make me think more about cyclists on other days of the month.  i hear
plenty of people watching when we do the ride ask what we're doing.  has BCM
done anything as simple as hand out slips of paper with a fact, quote,
suggestion that people respect cyclists on the street, and a link to the
page (especially if it's going to be updated and reworked)?

gripe:
finally, as long as i'm delurking in longwinded style, my pet road peeve:
cars behind me that aggressively and quickly pass me only to cut me off
again to take the right turn, only to slow down immediately in order to not
miss their turn, with a blinker, without leaving me enough room or time to
safely slow down and avoid crashing.

see you on the streets,
sarah