[*BCM*] Bike Law.

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Sat Apr 7 16:19:00 EDT 2007

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> we need a new set of laws for cyclists that actually makes sense. there's NO
> point in taking the local driver's test and trying to apply that to people
> riding bikes. "Two wheels or four, the law is the same."   uhhh, no. no it
> isn't. it's a completely different situation for cyclists. we need to be
> taken seriously by motorists, but that doesn't mean that we need to follow
> the same laws that they don't even follow half of the time, particularly
> when said laws put us in harms way.

Creating laws is a messy process, and we need all the help we can get.
How do you think we should go about figuring out what laws to apply to
which vehicle operators?  And is your overall goal?  Safety?
Convenience?  Fairness?  Sustainability?  Accessability?  Something
else?

The more people who work on coming up with better ideas, the better our
solutions will be.  So everyone else should feel free to chime in too
:-)

Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
-Turtle

A human being is a part of the whole, called by us 'universe,' a part
limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and
feelings, as something separate from the rest - a kind of optical
delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us,
restricting us to our personal decisions and to affection fo a few
persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this
prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole nature in its beauty."

~Albert Einstein